Uncovering Asthma Misconceptions
GINA 2021 Report Summary & World Asthma Day Meeting of the GINA Advocates:
World Asthma Day Activities Around The World:
World Asthma Day (WAD) (May 5, 2021) is organized by the Global Initiative for Asthma, (GINA) (www.ginasthma.org), a World Health Organization collaborative organization founded in 1993. WAD is held each May to raise awareness of Asthma worldwide.
WHO recognizes that asthma is of major public health importance. According to WHO, it was estimated that more than 339 million people had Asthma globally (1) and there were 417,918 deaths due to asthma at the global level in 2016. (3, 4)
Although asthma cannot be cured, it is possible to manage asthma to reduce and prevent asthma attacks, also called episodes or exacerbations.1
This year’s World Asthma Day theme is “Uncovering Asthma Misconceptions”. The theme provides a call to action to address common widely held myths and misconceptions concerning asthma that prevent persons with asthma from enjoying optimal benefit from the major advances in the management of this condition. Common misconceptions surrounding asthma include:
- Asthma is a childhood disease; individuals will grow out of it as they age.
- Asthma is infectious.
- Asthma sufferers should not exercise.
- Asthma is only controllable with high dose steroids.
The Truth is:
- Asthma can occur at any age (in children, adolescents, adults and elderly)
- Asthma is not infectious. However, viral respiratory infections (such as common cold and the flu) can cause asthma attacks. Or In children, asthma is frequently associated with allergy, but asthma which starts adulthood is less often allergic.
- When asthma is well controlled, asthma subjects are able to exercise and even perform top sport.
- Asthma is most often controllable with low dose inhaled steroids
Send us information about your World Asthma Day 2021 activity to post on this site!
- Arabic World Asthma Day Press Release
- Chinese World Asthma Day Press Release
- Georgian World Asthma Day Press Release
- Japanese World Asthma Day Press Release
- Kazakh World Asthma Day Press Release
- Kazakh World Asthma Day 2021 Logo
- Persian World Asthma Day Press Release
- Polish World Asthma Day Press Release
- Portuguese World Asthma Day Press Release
- Spanish World Asthma Day Press Release
- Turkish World Asthma Day Press Release
- Vietnamese World Asthma Day 2021 Logo
For this year only, World Asthma Day will be held on Wednesday, May 5. Starting in 2022, World Asthma Day will be held on the first Tuesday in May. Each year GINA chooses a theme and coordinates preparation and distribution of World Asthma Day materials and resources. GINA also maintains the World Asthma Day Internet Headquarters, where materials and resources are posted for downloading and a complete listing of activities around the world is constantly updated.
The first World Asthma Day, in 1998, was celebrated in more than 35 countries in conjunction with the first World Asthma Meeting held in Barcelona, Spain. Participation has increased with each World Asthma Day held since then, and the day has become one of the world’s most important asthma awareness and education events.